Wednesday 17 March 2021

I hereby declare....

Despite the fact I think they're mad and counter-productive for the most part, the restrictions on our freedoms over the last 12 months actually haven't been too bad for me.  I've worked from home, so much less travel and staying in London, and I haven't had to worry about home schooling and the like.  The most serious negatives have been not seeing my youngest at Christmas (or in fact at all for over a year now, despite her only being a two hour train ride away), having to cancel a cycling trip in France, not being able to travel to our house in France, and not being able to go to the pub. Actually, when I write them out like that, those things do seem cumulatively quite serious.  The point, however, is that the effects on me have been mild compared to other people - I haven't lost my livelihood, life or marbles.

Nevertheless, I have intermittent Bad Days.  On those days I'm grumpy, miserable and depressed.  They happen once every two to three weeks, and I've been trying to understand why.  At first I thought it was boredom with the same-old, same-old routine ("what shall we watch on Netflix tonight? where will we walk this weekend?"), but it's more than that.  I realise that as one of those people who derive lots of pleasure from planning things and anticipating the forthcoming experience, it's the lack of plans and dates in the diary that periodically turns me into an objectionable git. Ok, more of an objectionable git.

And then, the night before last, I had a dream....I had two that I can recall actually, but we'll brush over the first.  Anyway, in that dream, I was walking from Land's End to John O'Groats.  I woke with a start - that's it! That's what I'll do! It ticks so many boxes:

  • it's a big challenge
  • it'll take a lot of planning
  • it'll involve buying new kit (always fun)
  • I'll get to see parts of the country I've not seen before

Now, I have done a cycling version of LEJoG - I and great mate Mendip Rouleur rode it in 2009, and it remains one of the most enjoyable 10 day periods of my life. Walking the thing is a different prospect entirely of course - it'll take 60 or more days rather than 10, it'll be proportionately more expensive, it'll probably hurt more, navigation will be harder, and the potential for boredom will be greater.

And those are the reasons I decided to write a blog about the idea. It would be all too easy to slip back into the comfort of remote working and regular deliveries, reflect on the challenges of walking LEJoG, and think "nah, can't be bothered".  By saying here that I'm going to do it, I'll look a bit silly and/or pathetic if I don't. So this is something amounting to a public declaration.  The fact I'm writing it at 7am is a good sign, frankly - it means I'm quite excited at the prospect.

Now I need to go away and answer some big questions:

  • When do I want to do it?  A mid-April start looks favourite
  • Which direction do I want to do it?  Was thinking north to south as a change from 2009, but there are strong reasons to keep with south to north, particularly as the route itself will have significant variances from first time round
  • Which exact route do I take?  So many options!
  • Where will I stay and will I book accommodation in advance? I really don't know.
...and many more besides.  So, very early days, and who knows, we could still be suffering from Covid nonsense this time next year. But I think I have to go for it, especially now I've said I'm going to...


No comments:

Post a Comment